Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A doll for my doll


I honestly don't feel that great about this.  Amalia is going to be 7 tomorrow.  And she's wanted an American Girl doll, like some of her friends have.  For those of you who don't know, i.e., those without daughters, an American Girl doll costs $110.  Not a typo.  That's just for the doll and the outfit she's wearing.  You can buy accessories totaling another $39,000. None of their parents by them the dolls, this is strictly grandparent territory.

I'm trying to remember anything that I wanted as a kid that cost so much.  The Baseball Encyclopedia which was $25 in 1969.  My parents did buy it for me, although by the time they did it had been marked down considerably as it was some time in the middle of the 1972 baseball season.  I was still pretty happy with it.  

Amalia has not been a jerk about it.  One day she said, "I don't know why things cost what they do.  Like for $100 you can buy a barbecue grill which is a useful item.  But a doll is smaller and isn't useful, it's smaller, it shouldn't cost more than $30."  This works much better on us than the "Can I" gambit.  "Can I have an American Girl doll?  Can I?  Can I?"  Also, she's right.

We asked the grandmas if they'd split a doll and they cheerfully agreed.  So yesterday we went to THE AMERICAN GIRL DOLL STORE at The Grove and told Amalia the surprise.  Surprise was an understatement.  She settled on Saige, the 2013 Doll of the Year.  I didn't want to look at any of the other people in the store because I didn't want to see "what kind of people bought their kids American Girl dolls."


She looks pretty happy, right?  Happy birthday, baby, I wish I could buy you ten of them.