Monday, July 22, 2013

Order in the Court, the Judge is eating beans...



I WANT to go to jury duty.  I don't understand why everyone tries to get off.  I would LOVE to be in a jury room and see what happens for real.

I think it probably won't happen unless I learn to keep my yap shut.  Two times in two years, I was the first potential juror bounced from a case.

I work for a law firm and that guarantees me that I'm going to get a special little interview.  This case today was about one lawyer suing another lawyer.  It gets better.  The plaintiff (a short, Napoleanish type guy) went to arbitration on a matter.  When he lost that case, he turned around and sued his lawyer (plaintiff)  for malpractice.  The most amazing thing to me is that he found someone who would still be willing to represent him.

After a uninteresting exchange the attorney said, "do you have any thoughts about this case that may be relevant?"  I did.  And that little voice in my head is saying, "don't say it!"  I said it.

"Well, I don't know anything about the case and I'll be open to hearing about the specifics but - isn't arbitration supposed to be binding?  And final?  It sounds to me like someone got there nose out of joint."  The next thing I felt was the door of the courtroom hitting me in the rear.

My favorite moment in the juror questioning? The judge asked if anyone had been involved in a civil action before and Juror 9 raised her hand and said she was involved in the Dalkon Shield case.  The judge said, "you mean, you were part of a class action suit?" "Yes." "Twenty-five years ago." "Did you testify or have anything to do with it?" "No."

Last year was a malpractice case where a terminal patient died and the family was suing for malpractice.  When they asked me my opinion I once again opened my pie hole and said, "I don't know, it doesn't seem to matter what happened, it just seems that somebody feels that should get paid for everything that happens."  I don't even remember which side threw me off.

If I had a bucket list, serving on a jury would be on it.  Once.